How to: Audience Analysis, Segmentation & Retargeting

In Paid Search by Jack Felstead

PPC Audience Analysis, Sergemnation and Retargeting

 

Identifying our target audience is an essential first step in any marketing campaign. Vital factors such as interests, location, languages, gender, and internal data such as CRM and remarketing lists will all help us define the ad content and budget we want to use for each audience segment.

Please see the below diagrams for further information.

Step 1: Audience Analysis & Targeting

audience analysis and targeting

Whenever we start working with a new client we carry out a detailed Audience Analysis to help us (and our customers) identify their ideal target audience, we then segment these into separate campaigns and target them individually.

This information is also essential for any remarketing campaign as it allows us to tag each segment with a value and target these individuals more/less aggressively.

 

Step 2: Channel & Source Segmentation

paid search source segmentation

Once we have identified our audiences we can then target them within Search, Display and Social Channels using a range of intent indicators, from keywords and placements to job titles and interests.

We can also create separate campaigns according to each individual online source, for example:

If we were targeting females between 30-60 years of age, who have a specific interest in fashion and a high income we may wish to show them a different ad if they are searching on Google for a Red Dress, to if they were browsing a fashion related article online.

 

Step 3: Tagging Visitors

We use custom parameters to tag keywords, creative and URLs according to users’ behaviour (channel, source, intent, etc.). This information gives us vital data and insights that allow us to customise our retargeting efforts according to their value.

We can choose to target both converting users (to up-sell a product or service) as well as non-converters (to entice them to return and carry out a purchase).

It is common knowledge that on average only 2% of visitors will carry out a conversion on their first visit, which is why it is essential to retarget the remaining 98% with highly targeted ads with highly relevant content.

paid search - tagging visitors

 

Step 4: Retargeting

By segmenting our audience and tagging visitors with different values we can customise the messaging we display to them once they leave our website, and retarget them across the internet when browsing online, searching, or when on social media.

The below diagram displays the user’s journey from start (audience segmentation and targeting) to finish (retargeting and converting).

To find out more about what we could do for you visit our Paid Search page and request a free consultation today!

 

paid search retargeting diagram

About the Author

Jack Felstead

Share