One of the common SEO link building techniques is commenting on blogs. This may be a bit time consuming, especially when you want to earn lots of incoming links to your site. But is it really helpful? The answer is yes. By generating incoming links to your site, you create a good reputation among other bloggers. Your replies and arguments in blog discussions show that you are interested in the subject; you also attract other bloggers and end-users to visit your site and see what you can offer – which means more organic traffic for you. Try commenting on 2 to3 blogs per day and see what happens.
I researched and listed a few ideas tips for commenting on blogs:
• Post comments on blogs that belong to your niche and/or to related ones. Try to become a loyal reader and an active commenter, although bloggers are wary of those who comment purely for the sake of links – don`t be trolls! Aim to leave a number of comments on blogs that you`ve personally selected, and keep it up for several months.
• Don`t comment on every single post a blogger publishes, unless you really have something to say. Don`t comment for the sake of commenting.
• Avoid sounding like a know-it-all type. Don`t try to look wiser than the bloggers and their other readers.
• Always be polite, respectful and friendly.
• Keep your site or blog updated and watch your content`s quality. You want to make sure that the visitors earned via blog comments will be glad that they clicked on your name.
• Speaking of your name, this is what you must link to when you leave comments on any blog. Do not link to your site`s name, or to a keyword; otherwise, most people will regard you as a spammer.
I did read on how Yahoo! counts your back links to gauge the price of a link advertisement found on your website. The more back links Yahoo! counts, the more monetary value added to your site. Hmmmmm! I`m yet to find out just how this really works? But my point is that back links also help increase your website`s page strength, thus a simple blog commenting campaign can raise the negotiating value of your site. A good strategy for your blog commenting campaign is to identify which blogs use search engine friendly plugins, such as the do-follow plugin, as well as the top commentator plugin. While you can use these widgets on your site to monitor your most frequent visitors via the backlinks you posted on other blogs, these widgets can also work in your favour- especially when you know which blogs use them.
Find the blogs that use these widgets and leave your comments there. Blogs that use the top commentator plugin track the number of your comments and your link will appear on the sidebar if you`re among the top commentator for that particular blog. It is also recommended that you comment on blogs that use the do-follow plugin, rather than randomly visiting and commenting on a long list of blog sites. The do-follow plugin generally values the comment you leave on these blogs as a valid backlink, unlike those that use the standard feature in WordPress blogs use the no-follow plugin. This would save you the time and effort in posting comments, and at the same time, strengthen your site. You should be able to see an instant change in your site`s traffic by using this technique.
Remember that link building is a by-product of commenting on blogs, and that blogs to do not exist only for their link value. As a reliable link building strategy, commenting on blogs brings the benefits of industry networking with it. And my last words of advice will be that comment campaigns may be time-consuming, but if you do them the right way, you`ll thank yourself afterwards. The relationships built, the branding benefits and the free backlinks will justify your efforts.